Distribute UWP apps outside Microsoft Store
The steps to do it:
- Obtain a code signing certificate.
- Follow the instructions from the certificate authority (CA) to get the certificate file. It may have extension .p12. Make a copy of this file and change the extension to .pfx that is used by Visual Studio.
- Visual Studio > Open Package.appxmanifest > Packaging > Choose Certificate... > Select from file... > Select the abvove certificate file and enter the password if needed.
- For cross-platform projects, the UWP project's Assets folder must have the logo images (it is usually sufficient if the shared folder has them).
- Right-click UWP app in VS Solution Explorer >Create App Packages... > Publish > Select "Sideloading" and "Enable automatic updates"> Yes, use the current certificate... > Generate app bundle: Always, select x86, x64, ARM for Architecture > Select every "1" Weeks. A VS bug does not allow the update checking interval greater than 1 week. > Create.
- Copy a. folder My_APP_x.x.x.x_Test, b. index.html, c. My_APP.appinstaller to a directory of a web project (e.g. corresponding to URL: www.mydomain.com/download.myapp.
- Add a web.config file to the same folder for IIS with meme type contents for UWP app distribution.